POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? : Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something?
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 24 May 2011 06:39:08
Message: <4ddb8acc@news.povray.org>
> I'm staring at the page to which you posted a link there and I fail to see
> ANY mention of any relationship between a pipe symbol and the order in which
> things need to be provided.

What that documentation page fails to mention explicitely is that,
in absence of special syntax, everything is to be taken literally
and in the order specified.

For example, "sphere {<Center>, Radius}" means first write sphere,
then write curcly brace open, then write vector expression, then write
scalar expression, then write closing brace.

The reference to the pipe is that typically elements A and B
that may be present in arbitrary order could be given as:

[SOME_ITEM...]

SOME_ITEM: A | B

However, such syntax allows you to give the same item multiple
times, even if that was not the intent. It also seems that some
SDL descriptions are given in a way that imply a specific parameter
order although that is not the intent and not the implementation.
This may lead to confusion where order is important.

For non-technical users this page might benefit from an example.